21 Dec Anger – A mindfulness approach
Posted at 15:51h in General
When feelings of anger manifest:
- Pay attention to the feeling – Where in your body do you feel it? What kind of feeling is it?
- Focus attention on your breathing and notice the sensations in your body change.
- Listen to your thoughts but do not engage with them or attempt to silence them. What are your thoughts saying?
- When we are offended it us normally because we hold onto a rigid definition of ourselves – so ask yourself who specifically is offended and why?
- Be patient, try to observe the anger in the present moment with self-compassion and learn from the experience.
- Finish with an aspiration: Say to yourself, for example,
“May I find a way to understand and transform my anger” or “May I deal with the pain I am feeling and help others with their pains“